I got this recipe from my cousin Davis. Still drooling thinking about this biriyani. There are lot of ingredients for this recipe but don't let that scare you. It is worth your time and effort :-)
Chicken- 4 lbs cut into 2” pieces
Yogurt- ½ cup
Ginger-Garlic Paste- 2 Tbsp
Chili Powder- 3 tsp
Coriander Powder- 3 tsp
Green Chilies- 8, split
Mint Leaves- 1 cup, chopped
Cilantro- 1 cup, chopped
Turmeric Powder- ½ tsp
Lime Juice- 4 Tbsp
Salt to taste
For Garam Masala Powder:
- 10 Pepper Corns
- 10 Cloves
- Cardamom- 4
- Sahajeera or Black Cumin- ½ tsp
- Cinnamon Stick- 1”
Onion- 1 Large, sliced
Oil- 1 cup
Saffron strands- about 12 strands
Milk- ½ cup
All purpose flour: 1 cup, to make dough
Basmati Rice- 4 cups, soaked in water for 30 minutes
· Spices for boiling rice
· (boil the rice 1:2 ratio of water)
o 6 Cardamoms
o 3 Cloves
o 2 Bay Leaves
o 1 tsp Sahajeera or Black Cumin (optional)
o 1 tbsp of Oil
o Star Anise- 3
o Cinnamon- 2” stick
o Black peppercorns- 5
· Clean the chicken and cut it into 2” pieces,squeeze all the water from it and put it a colander to let water drain away or pat dry
· Grind the gram masala ingredients into powder.
· Mix all the ingredients of the marinade and marinate for at least 1 hour or overnight in the fridge.
· Soak saffron in hot milk
· Boil the rice with: "Spices for boiling rice ". Make sure rice is only half cooked
· In pan heat oil and fry the onions until light golden brown
· Add the marinated chicken and cook until it is almost.
· Heat a thick bottom pan and add oil
· Arrange chicken and rice in layers, one layer of chicken and two layers of rice.
· Arrange ½ the boiled rice on the chicken pieces, sprinkle some oil, ½ the fried onions and ½ the saffron milk
· Seal the container with flour dough and aluminum sheet.
· Keep a vessel of water on the top that helps to stay the steam inside.
· Cook it in 8 -10 minutes in low to high flame or in the oven
· Fry the cashews & raisins and put them on top of the rice before serving.