Chicken- 4 lbs cut into 2” pieces
Yogurt- ½ cup
Ginger-Garlic Paste- 2 Tbsp
Chili Powder- 3 tsp
Coriander Powder- 3 tsp
Green Chilies- 8, split
Mint Leaves- 1 cup, chopped
Cilantro- 1 cup, chopped
Turmeric Powder- ½ tsp
Lime Juice- 4 Tbsp
Salt to taste
For Garam Masala Powder:
- 10 Pepper Corns
- 10 Cloves
- Cardamom- 4
- Sahajeera or Black Cumin- ½ tsp
- Cinnamon Stick- 1”
Onion- 1 Large, sliced
Oil- 1 cup
Saffron strands- about 12 strands
Milk- ½ cup
All purpose flour: 1 cup, to make dough
Basmati Rice- 4 cups, soaked in water for 30 minutes
· Spices for boiling rice
· (boil the rice 1:2 ratio of water)
o 6 Cardamoms
o 3 Cloves
o 2 Bay Leaves
o 1 tsp Sahajeera or Black Cumin (optional)
o 1 tbsp of Oil
o Star Anise- 3
o Cinnamon- 2” stick
o Black peppercorns- 5
· Clean the chicken and cut it into 2” pieces,squeeze all the water from it and put it a colander to let water drain away or pat dry
· Grind the gram masala ingredients into powder.
· Mix all the ingredients of the marinade and marinate for at least 1 hour or overnight in the fridge.
· Soak saffron in hot milk
· Boil the rice with: "Spices for boiling rice ". Make sure rice is only half cooked
· In pan heat oil and fry the onions until light golden brown
· Add the marinated chicken and cook until it is almost.
· Heat a thick bottom pan and add oil
· Arrange chicken and rice in layers, one layer of chicken and two layers of rice.
· Arrange ½ the boiled rice on the chicken pieces, sprinkle some oil, ½ the fried onions and ½ the saffron milk
· Seal the container with flour dough and aluminum sheet.
· Keep a vessel of water on the top that helps to stay the steam inside.
· Cook it in 8 -10 minutes in low to high flame or in the oven
· Fry the cashews & raisins and put them on top of the rice before serving.